Sean on Personal Development

Monday, December 12, 2005

Are We Allowed to Do Nothing?

I like chocolate. I'm a fan of both nice, rich European dark chocolates and American milk chocolates.

Today, I was eating some individually wrapped Dove chocolates. They have this thing where the wrappers actually have little inspirational messages contained on the inside of them (the Promises(R) messages)... and I got one that said "You're allowed to do nothing."

And I thought to myself, "No... no, I'm not allowed to do nothing. I've got goals and plans, and a whole heap of determination. If there's anything I'm not allowed to do, it's nothing."

Of course, this is with my current, determined mindset. I don't think I've ever been so determined in my life as I am to get out of the corporate lifestyle. I'm dedicating myself to this and my other goals nearly every waking hour.

But how many times have I agreed with that chocolate? How many times have I allowed myself to mindlessly surf the web, not consuming anything that I gain benefit from? On how many occaisions have I wasted time with poor management or just by being wasteful? Too many. And because of that, I settled to let myself and my career be just "good enough."

But I'm not doing that any longer. I'm not going to waste that time any more. And you shouldn't either.

Think about it: Have you let yourself do nothing? Don't you think it's time to cut back on the "nothing" time?

And besides, are you going to let a chocolate wrapper tell you what to do?
-sean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home