Sean on Personal Development

Thursday, December 15, 2005

"Don't Sweat It" Iterations

I've always been an advocate of the "Don't Sweat It" philosophy. If something is stressing you out, realize that, no matter the outcome, what will be, will be. This is not to say that you shouldn't let deadlines push you to work more efficiently, or emergencies to make you work harder. Rather, life is going to proceed whether you stress about something or not, and generally stressing only wastes time and makes you perform worse. Keep your head up, take a deep "shaw breath"* and pursue your goals with a clear head.

I think most people understand this on an intellectual level. However, complete application (to the point that the stress is no longer a concern) is a bit different. I still find sources of stress about which I'm bothering. But because I recognize this, it's easier to step back, realize it's pointless to worry, and then move on with life. It's probably one of my most useful abilities. Each time I come to recognize the stress, I iterate through these same steps to minimize or remove the stress.

Even today I found myself stressing over escaping my job. I was irritated that I was forced to continue in the position and how much of my time it consumed. But I realized that it was adding stress, and that I couldn't debate the fact that I needed the funds provided by the job.

So, since it was nigh-impossible for me to quit the job now and keep up my goal pursuit, why should I stress over it? And with that, I could remove one more stressor and more clearly focus on my path ahead.


So, think about it: How many things in your life do you worry about that you need to keep in your life, or have no control over them? Why are you still worrying about it?? Recognize the stressing is a silly waste of time, smile, and move on.


-sean


*A "shaw breath" is something I learned in my voice / acting coursework (I was a Theatre Arts minor in addition to my Computer Science degree). It involves a deep, full-lung breath, which is then let out on a heavy "Shhh" for at least a 10 count. It does wonders to calm the nerves and help focus. For extra focus, hold your arms horizontally out and the slowly lower them to your sides while completing the exhalation. Where'd the name come from? If I recall correctly, my voice teacher told us that "shaw" is a British term for "Shh" sound, but I can't find anything to verify this. Regardless, it's still a great tool for focusing.

1 Comments:

  • So what you're saying is that problems cause you so little stress so as to reach a level of apathy?

    Now, I haven't read Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, so I can't comment on it directly. I realize, though, that my post may be a bit misleading.

    Anyway, my thought is this:
    Since you don't seem to be hit with the emotional reponse to a lot of stressors, you probably need to take more advantage of the intellectual analysis of situations. Just in this case, you might be telling yourself not why it's not something to stress about, but instead assessing whether it is a problem worth adressing / solving, weighing the potential consequenses.


    -sean

    By Blogger Sean, at 12/18/2005 02:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home